Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Cooking with the Cobb Grill

This all started with us getting a new motor coach.   I started thinking again (which always gets me in trouble) of cooking on the road.  What kind of grill do I need.  How big of a grill do I need.  What grill will have the most options.    Etc, Etc, Etc.      I was looking at cooking when we don't have power.    Like pulling off the side of the road for the night.    Staying in a road side park.  Campground, or just pain not wanting to cook in the coach.      And most motorhomes now don't have ovens anyway.  Our new one does not.     They use convection.  Well, at this point I am not sold on convection, much less the fact that I have not used a convection that much at all.   None at all really.  

I have had the Cobb grill for several years.   I bought the Cobb Kitchen in a Box.   That got you all the accessories.  There are a few other accessories available now, but the ones in the box will take me a while to learn to use and perfect.     You can even bake bread!

All the reviews on the Cobb seem to be great.  Once you learn to use it, you are suppose to be able to cook almost anything,  and cook your complete meal on the Cobb  outdoors.  The base does not get hot so you can set it on anything.   Look up some of the pins on Pinterest and you will see them even on boats!    

A complaint  some reviewers have is  the loss of heat thru the mesh grill that seems to hurt the cooking  time and heat retention.  Also if there is a breeze or wind its hard to keep the heat "going up" into the cooking area.    So after reading blogs and Pinterest someone came up with a Cobb grill windbreak,  a CobBra, or cosy, or fabric wrap protector.  They are all sold in Australia, so I got out the ole tape measure and sewing machine an stitched one up.    Hey, not bad for a whirl wind throw together.    Will find out how well it works, hopefully, this evening.
This is the Cobb out on the patio heating up for steaks.  The wrap I made is around it, but not fastened.  I used three squares of  a fire starter.  Three was really too much, and I used about 10 or 11 small pieces of charcoal.    That put out quite a fire and took little longer for the charcoal to burn down.

Now I can tell you, before you start cooking with your Cobb, play a little and put it together using the different pieces so you will know what you are doing.   I can tell you,  I thought I had it all figured out and ready to go, but I was totally lost at putting the pieces together after the sucker got hot.   That is not the time to try to figure out what piece you need.     My DH kept asking me, whats next....... duh, I don't know.   Is that the way it fits?   Duh....... I don't know.   Which piece do you use?  Duh..........I don't know.     I think I need to play around with it a little more to see how all the pieces go together before I get a blaze so hot you could not do anything with it except cook on it as it was.     
 Right or wrong it seemed to work just fine the way I put it together this time and we cooked our steaks.  Put the steaks on the hot rack,  put the lid on and left alone for about 7 or 8 minutes.   Then turned the steaks and did the same thing again.   I really don't know how long it took, cause we were running around looking at the pool,  talking about our cattle,  getting a beer, and preparing the rest of our feast.  I had it all planned to take pictures, and time it all.  But.....nope did not work that way.
  
All I can say is , that was our first experience with the Cobb grill.   Once it was going it was very easy and the steaks were very good.  And the little sucker was HOT!  The charcoal was still going and I could have cooked several more items  if I had them thawed out.   Tomorrow,  clean it up and practice putting the pieces together for the next cook out.    Gotta figure this puppy out.

 Check out the pins on Pinterest.  There are a lot and they will help.   Have fun with your Cobb. 
Till next time........................
Happy Trails To You...............................

No comments:

Post a Comment