Saturday, August 24, 2013



MAKE YOUR OWN SIMPLE MOISTURIZING LOTION

I have been wanting to make my own lotion for a LONG time! But I haven’t been able to find QUITE the right“recipe” for me. There are as many formulations for lotion out there as there are fish in the sea it seems! Heavy, light. Greasy, non-greasy. Scented, unscented.  etc etc etc. To be honest I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted…but knew I would know it when I found it.  Sure enough…I did!
I found this semi-homemade version onPatchworkTimes.com and thought it sounded like just the ticket for me.Simpleinexpensive ingredients and no melting or cooking required. Funny thing is I recently bought some beeswax pellets online in preparation for making lotion…but have yet to use any of it. I might have to find another project that requires beeswax…because I LOVE this lotion! It’s rich and creamy and yet not too heavy…and it smells heavenly! I just love the smell of baby lotion. :-)

The original recipe called for: 16 oz. baby lotion8 oz. Vaseline, and 8 oz. Vitamin E Cream
But after consulting with my staff of advisors (my sisters), we decided to try replacing the Vaseline with Coconut Oil. The result was LOTION PERFECTION! It’s thick, but not heavy, so it’s very moisturizing but doesn’t leave your hands (feet, etc) feeling greasy. Oh, and did I mention how goodit smells!?!?  I was considering adding some essential oils to make my own “scented lotion”, but thought better of it when I smelled this.
My sisters and I immediately started slathering this stuff on and my oldest sister said it reminded her of her favorite Burt’s Bees lotion, but at a FRACTION of the cost.
So here is the revised
Homemade Moisturizing Lotion:
16 ounces baby lotion
8 ounces coconut oil (solid form, not melted)
8 ounces vitamin E cream
Mix together with handheld mixer until it resembles icing.
Store in air tight containers…keep it for your own supply…or slap on a quick little label for gift-giving!


I gave one to each of my sisters’s that were visiting. :-)
Cost breakdown:
Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil $7.00
Dollar Store Baby Lotion $1.50
Dollar Store Vitamin E Cream $1.50
Use roughly half the jar of coconut oil, the whole bottle of baby lotion and 1/2 the jar of vitamin E Cream.
Approximate cost: $5.75 for roughly 32 ounces. Or $1.44 for each 8 ounce jar I filled.
Ready? Set? MOISTURIZE! ;-)
{{{Update:  Here’s a fun idea!  Put on one of those pump tops! Find out how to MAKEone on this post:  Make Your Own Mason Jar Dispenser}}}

FROM :  ONE GOOD THING BY JILLIE
THANKS--This is a great lotion!

No comments:

Post a Comment